Bok's Blog

Life is a journey . . .

Monday, August 08, 2005

Pappilon and Our Not So Secret Garden



Being one with nature - one of the joys Ed and I derive from gardening. I took a picture of this butterfly hovering over my phlox - she did not seem to mind. Ed was also close by planting a tree. Earlier, I saw dozens of tiny, yellow butterflies on my lavenders. They were following me as I moved the lavenders up front. Butterflies are very sociable.

Ed and I have settled down and are enjoying our new house and surroundings. The pond and the forest nearby are home to lots of wildlife. We got a flock of deers that visit and drink from the pond every morning and afternoon. There are rabbits and lots of birds. This will be a challenge next year - that is when we start our herb and vegetable garden.





This weekend was just perfect for gardening - temperature in the low 80's and sunny. Ed has been planting trees - this one is a dogwood and close to the phlox with the beautiful butterfly.





This Kwanzai cherry was the first one he planted. While he was busy with the trees, I prepared the front walkway and started planting the perennials and the shrubs. I have planted liatris and lavender beside the cherry. I originally planned on putting them at the side of the house. However, I wanted to enjoy the sweet lavender scent so they got relocated to the walkway. A big plus - the tiny butterflies quickly learned where the lavenders are so we get to see them too.



In addition to more liatris and lavender in the corner, I placed boxwoods up front and some coralbells for accent. Rocks and a gurgling earthen jar near the front door will complete the landscape.

Moving the rocks were not easy though. Ed and I gave up on moving a big one from the back - it almost broke our dolly. We will probably get some help moving the real big rocks. Meanwhile, we still have lots of trees and shrubs to plant. Not to mention opening the boxes inside the house and clearing the garage - just look past my car. These areas are our secrets for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home